Construction 101
(My Life and How Construction shaped it )
I wanted to start this blog in order to collect my thoughts for a book and as a means to regain my sanity. After 40 years I’ve decided to retire from construction and want to talk about the men of character and the true characters I’ve met in this business, and I’ve met a few. I expect some to get upset when I classify them as characters instead of men/women of character but this is solely my opinion and my perception.
When I started in construction million dollar deals made by handshake. Today, you need a good lawyer to make sure all tees are crossed and all i’s dotted. The business is ran by lawyers and bean counters, not construction people (I do miss construction people). I had planned to work another nine years, but decided that my health and well being are more important.
Over the next year, I’ll talk about jobs that I have worked on and the people I have met. This will be in no particular order, I'll write about what ever comes to mind on that day. Some of the items I plan on writing about are:
- The blizzard of 1978
The snakes and tarantulasin Mexico
The girls of Borneo
Exploding flyash
The most interesting project I’ve ever worked on
The hardest project I’ve ever worked on
Several characters that I won’t change any details and you’ll be asking me if I’m making it up
Several men and women of character and integrity that I truly admire
Problems in France
Tepee Rings
Doing business with Disney
Splash Mountain
True characters of the TVA
Laughing at difficult owners and/or construction managers
My hope is, this blog will inspire managers to laugh at the lighter things in life, to respect the men and women who succeed, and give few tips that help you be a better person.

No comments:
Post a Comment